Beattie Passive has combined all the energy efficiency, comfort, and carbon-saving benefits of the Passivhaus standard with the speed and versatility of offsite modular technology. Our modular, relocatable, stackable and scalable homes are built to the Passivhaus standard and will help you to achieve your Net Zero aspirations. From modular offsite projects, providing housing for the homeless, through to large-scale housing developments, we’re the experts in all things Passivhaus!
Beattie Passive was named Building Performance Pioneer at the 2022 Offsite Construction Awards and also won the award for Best Social Housing Development (Under £5m) at the Inside Housing Development Awards.
Beattie Passive Building System
Factory completed modules are transported to site and craned onto site constructed foundations and can be stacked up to 3 storeys high. The floor cassette comprises of engineered floor joist (Easijoists) with radon and gas barrier and cement particle board below and this forms the pod floors, built off site for modular. Once the floors are built the corner posts are then fitted with the modular wall components using tek screws to the engineer’s design. The easijoist roof or first/second floor is then put into place.
The walls are then clad externally and internally with 9mm Racking and Fire Board, Externally the boards are left with a 6mm gap between boards for expansion/contraction and to allow the insulation to breath. Internally the boards are butted tightly together.
Upper floors consist of engineered timber joists (easijoist) with decking over. An external cladding system is added to complete the building and is mainly carried out prior to delivery to site.
Durability Assessment – 60 Years
Limits on scope
- Maximum 3 storeys for residential use;
- Bottom members minimum 150mm above external ground level;
- Minimum 25mm drained and ventilated cavity behind external wall claddings;
- Adequate sub-floor ventilation must be maintained to the void below the ground floor;
- Ground below ground module floor must be sealed to limit moisture within the void, e.g., sand covering.
- Sheathing board used in the construction must be third party approved for the proposed use (e.g., BBA, KIWA, ETA). All fixings to the supporting structure must be stainless steel. Relative Humidity in the cavity behind the wall cladding must not exceed 85% for extended periods.
- Beattie Passive must be contracted for the design, manufacture, supply and erection of the structure;
- A chartered structural engineer suitably experienced in the design of this type of structure must be sub-contracted for the structural analysis and design.