BlokBuild came together as a pioneering collective of product designers, architects, engineers, project managers and programmers with a mission to make our built environment more innovative and sustainable through digital manufacturing technologies.
We’ve mastered and interlocked design, manufacturing and construction to offer a fully end-to-end service, capable of realising the visions of ambitious one-off structures or satisfy the demands of mass-scale housing projects.
Our high-performance, structural timber cassette system and advanced approach to design for manufacture and assembly make for a completely controlled and optimised system that brings refreshing simplicity to construction.
The Blokbuild Closed-panel Engineered Timber Cassette System
The system comprises of factory-assembled closed panel, engineered timber cassettes delivered to site on pallets to construct up to three story buildings as detached, semi-detached or terraced building. Cassettes are made to suit the engineering design of the building being constructed. The wall cassettes are 100mm thick for non-loadbearing walls and between 100mm to 320mm thick for external and loadbearing walls, the length and height of cassette are project specific to suit the design. Horizontally spanning cassettes are typically between 236mm and 386mm deep. Each cassette is made from CNC machine cut castellated interlocking OSB 3 or 4 sheets and screwed together with Bright Zinc or Stainless steel countersunk head twinfast wood screws. When the cassettes are used in the horizontal position the joints are glued with structural grade adhesive. The cassettes are aligned using CNC cut ply pegs and joined together with steel nail plates fixed in position with wood screws recessed within the cassettes to form the structural elements.
Durability Assessment 60 Years
Limits of Scope
- Maximum 3 storeys for residential and commercial use
- Bottom members minimum 150mm above external ground level
- Minimum 25mm ventilated cavity behind external wall claddings
- For a suspended floor, adequate sub-floor ventilation must be maintained to the void below the ground floor, to meet current building control requirements in particular where there is no treatment of the ground to prevent moisture entering the void
- Blokbuild must be contracted for the design, manufacture and supply of the structure. The System can be installed by Blokbuild or an approved installer, in accordance with the BB site procedures and QA system
- A competent and experience structural engineer from a chartered practice suitably experienced in the design of this type of structure must be sub- contracted for the structural analysis and design