FK Group Modular Volumetric Composite Steel and Cross Laminated Timber Building System
The system is based on Stora Enso cross-laminated softwood timber panels (CLT) factory assembled to form modular volumetric units to function structurally as walls, upper floors, and flat roofs, subject to the provision of suitable and adequate weather protection where exposed to the elements and additional fire protection, as necessary, to comply with local Building Regulations. Panels of various thickness and size are used, depending on structural requirements.
External walls are a combination of a hot rolled steel frame, fixed to the CLT panels, and infilled with Lightweight Galvanised Steel (LGS) sections. Module size is designed for transport and site access requirements. This assessment only considers modules built off a structural podium at upper floor level.
Durability Assessment – 60 Years
Limits of Scope
- Maximum 10 storeys + roof
- Bottom members in contact with sub-structure must be fully isolated from contact with moisture.
- Minimum 25mm drained and ventilated cavity behind external wall cladding
- CLT panels must be protected from direct or indirect contact with moisture
- FK Group must be contracted for the design, manufacture, supply and erection of the modules
- FK Group must confirm the suitability of all designs by others that could impact the durability of the modules